Topic: Preparing for NYS Common Core Algebra 1
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jun 21, 2013 3:44 PM

Meg Clemens

RE: Preparing for NYS Common Core Algebra 1
att1.html (10.9 K)

Taking the Algebra 1 in addition to the required common core is up to each district. I?m sure my district will have students take both. The higher of the two scores counts for the student and the teacher (APPR) so it is win-win.

There are a lot of available practice materials and released exams to prepare for the Algebra 1 and the raw points curve is pretty stable. Not true for the common core. The scores for the common core will not be available until the end of the regents marking period so you can?t decide ahead of time to skip the Algebra 1 based on common core performance. For me, the issue of how raw points will be curved is a major scary unknown.

I can?t see why students and teachers wouldn?t want to take both. I ran this by our special ed department but they felt since the tests were two weeks apart that the extra testing burden wouldn?t be an issue for their students either.

Meg Clemens