Topic: Free group on m generators elementary extension of the free group on n generators (n < m)?
Replies: 11   Last Post: Jul 15, 2013 1:13 PM

Paul

Re: Free group on m generators elementary extension of the free group
on n generators (n < m)?

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 10:52:20 AM UTC+1, Sandy wrote:
> pepstein5@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > If I'm not confused[...]
>

> But you are! Btw, my other post that I referred to just a few minutes
>
> ago in reply to Butch, is in sci.logic as a reply to Rupert.
>

> I have added in sci.logic for this reply.

I think I get it now. When a non-abelian group has an abelian subgroup, this is a non-elementary extension because the statement "For all x, For all y, xy = yx" is false in the larger group but true in the subgroup.

I think the question with which you opened the post is basically equivalent to asking whether the theorem cited by David is correct.

Am I more on target now?

Thanks.

Paul