Topic: Please remove my email address
Replies: 4   Last Post: Aug 22, 2013 9:00 AM

Lorraine Lurie

Re: Please remove my email address
att1.html (3.8 K)

you got spammed. Change your passwords.

Lorraine Lurie

-----Original Message-----
From: r!chard tchen <discussions@mathforum.org>
To: discretemath <discretemath@mathforum.org>
Sent: Tue, Aug 20, 2013 10:18 pm
Subject: Re: Please remove my email address

Dianna:

Within hours of your posting this request, I went ahead and administratively
unsubscribed your address from our mailing list, as the note below confirms:

> Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 00:36:33 -0400
> From: majordomo@mathforum.org
> --
> No action is required on your part.

All:

Please accept our apologies for the unsolicited commercial mail.

I reached out individually to each of you who had written the discussion
administrators directly, by clicking the "Contact Us" link to the left of the
web archive; you have already received the outline that follows. But as the
timestamp above suggests ...

>From the get-go, the Math Forum manually deleted the junk messages as well as
the logins of the offending posters -- part of routine sweeps that we perform
several times every day. Unfortunately, as you experienced, the unsolicited web
postings only increased overnight into Sunday morning; and for reasons we may
never fathom, the spammers latched onto this discussion (first). So yesterday
morning, we converted the discretemath mailing list (and others) into fully
moderated discussions; and further began blocking requests from the networks
propagating the spam -- a measure we have since escalated to dynamic and
continuous IP filtering.

And yes, Mark, we also plan to update our CAPTCHA library to raise the bar for
new registrants!

Having said all that: the Forum's web interface has always allowed you to
"watch" discussions at a level of granularity of your choosing. Located in the
left margin of any Forum discussion page next to the small icon of a pair of
binoculars after you log in, "watches" track updates to categories of
discussions, specific discussions such as discretemath, given threads within a
discussion, or individual discussants. They stay organized in your online
profile, in the style of bookmarks, for you to click through at your
convenience; and you may receive e-mail notifications of your watches, as well.

We're very happy to help anyone with their Math Forum watches, logins, mail
subscriptions and unsubscriptions, RSS feeds, general concerns, suggestions, and
beyond. Please just drop us a line using the "Contact Us" link.

Thanks to everyone for your patience,

Richard Tchen

The Math Forum @ Drexel
3210 Cherry Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2713

tel1: (215)895-1787
tel2: (800)756-7823
facs: (215)895-2964

The Math Forum @ Drexel (http://mathforum.org/)
is a research and educational enterprise of
The Drexel University School of Education (http://goodwin.drexel.edu/soe/).