Topic: Makeup tests & mastery
Replies: 6   Last Post: Sep 30, 2013 12:50 PM

Ellen Falk

Re: Makeup tests & mastery
att1.html (4.1 K)

Our school allows students to take a make up exam if they scored below 65. however they can only be awarded a grade no higher than 65. This policy ends after the 3rd qtr. I generally decide if I gave an exam and kids as a whole were not successful, that there must be something that I did not teach in a way that kids really got it... so in that event I would use the first test as a pre test , re teach and assess again. I do not hvae test correction points. I require kids to come after school and go over their exam with me. I also try to figure out a test studying strategy for them ( on line sources, a group study session , etc...) that will work for the student. Too many kids get through via test corrections that still do not know what they are doing. I am the BC calc teacher and kids were expecting me to allow them to do test corrections at that level... no way. They almost seemed like they were ok wit a low grade the first time through because they were conditioned to gaining pts for their test corrections, Grades were over inflated. They did not like my policy but they began to study harder for the first shot at the exam. Grades that reflected their ability followed and kids also began taking the first test more seriously. Test corrections are appropriate at certain grade levels perhaps. But I think you have to move kids away from that model of achievement.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gen LaGattuta <lagaloot@verizon.net>
To: amtnys <amtnys@mathforum.org>
Sent: Sun, Sep 29, 2013 8:29 pm
Subject: Re: Makeup tests & mastery

Our district does not have a policy regarding that matter. It is the teacher's discretion to give a make up or not. I have a "Test Corrections Policy" for students who score below an 85 on any test. They must submit correct work on loose leaf AND meet with me during extra help to discuss their mistakes. One of the reasons I added the latter was to cut down on students simply copying correct work from other students. They have two days to complete this task from the day they receive the tests back. If the corrections are adequate and the student met with me, he/she will achieve a 10/10 quiz grade. I have been using this system for two years now, and noticed an improvement in my students' regents scores and understanding of concepts. Of course, extra help has become a bit more crowded, but it is extremely worthwhile. Cumulative tests are also very helpful in increasing mastery as students are constantly forced to revisit prior concepts.

Gen LaGattuta
Seaford High School

On 09/29/13, cchuttey@sfcs.k12.ny.us<cchuttey@sfcs.k12.ny.us> wrote:

I'm interested in whether your district allows students to makeup tests or quizzes to raise their grades. If so, do you have requirements that students must complete prior to taking a makeup test? Are there limitations as to what the grade can be raised to? I currently only offer make ups for chapter tests but am considering extending this to quizzes in an effort to increase student mastery. Thanks for your input.