Topic: Makeup tests & mastery
Replies: 6   Last Post: Sep 30, 2013 12:50 PM

Richard Brice

RE: Makeup tests & mastery
att1.html (2.9 K)

The district encourages re-tests.

Some teachers require the students to take the second bus run home. One hour after students are dismissed for the day we have a second run for students who wish to make up work or get some 5 on 1 attention from subjects they are struggling with. This is only for 6-12 grade.

I however do not give re-tests. What I do is require all students to have their parents sign the test and then do corrections. They can get help from me or other math teachers, or do them on their own. These corrections are 10% of their grade, so if a student had a 100 on a test and did not show me the parent signature, the quarter grade will drop. Of course that does not happen. On the other hand a 70 with corrections done properly will go to a 77% (not 10 points but 10% of the test grade up or down).

There are other teachers in the district that also do that.

Richard Brice

>>> "Jensen, Lynette" <jensenl@corinthcsd.com> 9/30/2013 7:59 AM >>>
Our district has no policy AGAINST it so I personally do offer re-tests. With that being said... I find that TOO MANY students get a lower grade on the re-test or a grade only 1-2 points higher which drives me NUTS! To be eligible for the re-test students must correct the original test on separate paper and get it signed by a parent.