Topic: Diophantine equation x^2-19y=8 no solution Proof!
Replies: 12   Last Post: Feb 6, 2014 9:08 AM

Daniel Joyce

Re: Diophantine equation x^2-19y=8 no solution Proof!

On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 5:40:38 PM UTC-5, jtjim...@gmail.com wrote:
> Em quarta-feira, 5 de fevereiro de 2014 12h33min18s UTC-2, jtjim...@gmail.com escreveu:
>

> > This equation has no solution?
>

> > Proof?
>

> Port563,
>
> Ok, I understood.
>
> I suppose that probability of these remainders are equally likely = 1/10.
>

> Dan,
>
> Looking at A038873 it seems to me that is for x^2 - py = 2

At it's header of a038873 ---

Primes p such that 2 is a square mod p; or, primes
congruent to {1, 2, 7} mod 8.

So in the case of prime 2 ---- x=4 and y=4 satisfying the equation.

Dan