Topic: A good math blog?
Replies: 4   Last Post: Feb 15, 2014 7:12 AM

Stan Brown

Re: A good math blog?

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 01:49:38 +0000, No News wrote:

> On 11/02/2014 02:12, Stan Brown wrote:

> > A co-worker and I were talking today. She's interested in math, but
> > feels she did poorly in it in school. From what she described, it
> > was poor teaching at the university level -- she had a run of bad
> > luck with her instructors.
> >
> > She doesn't want to take a math course, but she would like to (my
> > words) be exposed to mathematical thinking. I've recommended John
> > Allen Paulos and Gerd Gigerenzer to her, but it strikes me that a
> > blog she could follow would be just perfect: small columns that used
> > something real-world to illustrate a mathematical concept.
> >
> > Anyone have a good candidate?
> >

> This doesn't quite answer your question, but she might get something
> from the old classic "How To Solve It" by Pólya. I'm sure you know it.

Yes, I do. Thanks for posting.

What I'm looking for for my co-worked is not so much a book of math
instruction, bur rather a source of articles for non-technical
readers that use mathematical reasoning. Maybe something like the
old math articles in /Scientific American/, if I'm remembering right.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...