Topic: Generation of random binary trees
Replies: 10   Last Post: Mar 20, 2014 10:30 AM

Herman Rubin

Re: Generation of random binary trees

On 2014-02-27, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen@t-online.de> wrote:
> Am 27.02.2014 20:11, schrieb Herman Rubin:

>> Can you describe the probability model you want to use? This
>> is necessary to answer your question.

> I simply want to be able to pick any of the total number of
> different binary trees with n end nodes with equal probability.
> As I wrote, the method I employed seems to be biased towards
> favouring those trees that are comparatively flat (of lower
> height).

> M. K. Shen

Do you want equally likely labelled trees or equally likely
unlabelled ones? For the labelled trees, the method is fairly
easy; there are 2^(n-1)! labelled trees with n nodes, and going
from n-1 to n can be done by selecting a node at random and
branching there. For unlabelled trees, the problem is much
harder.