Topic: Re: Structured Programming
Replies: 6   Last Post: Mar 11, 2014 5:00 PM

kirby urner

Re: Structured Programming
att1.html (3.1 K)

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 8:43 AM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 7, 2014, at 7:25 AM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > My goal is to change the law to where math credit is available to
>> students who take courses such as those using the Litvins' text and a
>> gazillion other texts that will materialize in response to the opening
>> floodgates to this "new kind of math course".
>>
>> You mean something like Florida's current bill?
>>

> Yes, exactly.
>

>> (d) Courses in computer programming language, such that 1 credit, at the
>> discretion of the local district school board, may satisfy 1 credit in
>> physical education which is required for high school graduation.
>>

> Computer programming as PE? That seems a bit weird.

Not to eat my hat or anything but coming from a "capital of weird" (Austin
TX and Portland OR both use "Keep [ ] Weird" as a business / marketing
slogan -- those who study zip code based demographics will have some
insights as to why) I should be all for PE-for-math-credit.

A number of my posts here and elsewhere have pictured huffing and puffing
scouting troupes (troops) heading into the wilderness to a remote
observatory, counting calories, wired to record biometrics for uploading to
the school server, multi-eyed cameras (from Immersive) sticking up from
their back packs.

So yeah, "Math is an Outdoor Sport" I'm all for it.

Sorry to be so knee jerk. I need to check my bias against Florida. I
should confess it probably traces to trauma from my participation in a
religious organization wherein certain writings from Tallahassee offended
me. Southeast High in Bradenton Florida may not have been ideal, but it
was far from a nightmare. I went home to watch Star Trek every day, and
console myself with fantasies of living in the 24th century.

Kirby

Message was edited by: kirby urner