Topic: Jobs and Skills and Zombies - NYTimes.com
Replies: 4   Last Post: Apr 1, 2014 10:54 AM

Gerry Rising

From: Amherst, NY
Registered: 7/26/10
Re: Jobs and Skills and Zombies - NYTimes.com

On 4/1/14 12:21 AM, Bob wrote:
> What do these standards offer them? Nothing really, and definitely no keys
> to unlock some success in the real world of work, a world I sometimes think
> we like to ignore.

No and the education we try to provide our students includes conjugating
verbs, readingliterature with understanding, learning to balance
chemistry equationsand many other things, none of which "will help them"
in the sense Bob's message suggests.

So what does Bob want? Job skills? Just what are they? The kind of
"entry level skills" needed for MacDonald's are taught in primary
school: press the right picture on the cash register.

In this regard I recall a Pennsylvania school principal with whom I took
an NYU graduate course. His school was in a coal mining town and he
argued for a basic - job skills - education because his students would
just go on to "careers" in the minesand local stores like their parents.
Surely we don't think of education in those terms any longer.

The teach jobskills argument belongs among the April 1 challenges.