Topic: Re: Elizabeth Green’s “Why D
o Americans Sti nk a t Math?”

Replies: 2   Last Post: Jul 28, 2014 2:23 PM

Alain Schremmer

On Jul 27, 2014, at 11:23 PM, Haim wrote:

> Alain Schremmer Posted: Jul 27, 2014 6:09 PM
>

>> We have had our differences and, I suspect, still do.
>> But I am curious as to what you might think of, say,

> <http://www.freemathtexts.org/Standalones/RDA/1SymbolicSystems2014-07-22.pdf

> and
> <http://www.freemathtexts.org/Standalones/RDA/2TheBasicIdeas2014-07-27.pdf

> Alain,
>
> You are kind to ask. I will not be able to read these documents
> immediately.

I am not quite vain enough to solicit. The stuff is posted and all I
know is that there are quite a few downloads.

The reason I mentioned these here was because they are an embodiment
of my thesis which is that "to teach" just means "to present the
contents in a way that makes it easy/easier for the student to come to
grips with them". Which, in fact, is far from being easy as soon as
one places oneself in the shoes of an ignorant but critical reader,
one who will not take anything for granted, but, also, one who, being
a beginner,

--cannot tell up front what is an accidental artifact from what is
a significant difference,
--cannot be assumed to supply what "goes without saying"

While I was re-reading TheBasicIdeas2014-07-27, I suddenly realized
that it had a serious structural mistake as well as some bad
terminology which I hope I just corrected in

<http://www.freemathtexts.org/Standalones/RDA/2TheBasicIdeas2014-07-28.pdf

Specifically, compare 2.3 Lists, 2.4 Representing Large Collections in
the 2014-07-27 edition with 2.3 Bunch Lists, 2.4 Splitting Large
Collections, 2.5 Representing Large Collections in the 2014-07-27
edition.

Regards
--schremmer