Topic: is this True or False??
Replies: 5   Last Post: Aug 7, 2014 2:40 PM

Ben Bacarisse

Re: is this True or False??

(Newsgroups trimmed)

Bart Goddard <goddardbe@netscape.net> writes:

> Don Kresch <no@spam.org> wrote in

>>>3. My favorite: "If your God exists you say He
>>>incarnated Himself as a man and walked on water.
>>>Since we know men can't walk on water, that proves
>>>your God can't exist." It assumes God exists and
>>>doesn't exist in the same sentence. Not logical.

>> You've never heard of proof by contradiction/reductio ad
>> absurdam? Wow. Just wow.

> Since I teach logic at university, yes, I've heard of it.
> The above is not an example of it. It is, rather, an
> example of denying the antecedent. So now, if we
> need an example of an atheist doing bad logic: we have
> you. Wow. Just wow.

To deny the antecedent is to argue thus: if P, then Q; not(P) therefore
not(Q). What are the P and Q that make this argument fit that form? I
can't see it, but you may have introduced some other assumptions without
making them explicit (your remark about what the quoted argument assumes
certainly suggests that).