Topic: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Replies: 26   Last Post: Sep 20, 2003 5:44 PM

meron@cars3.uchicago.edu

Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom

In article <bkcn0d$6r5b$1@ID-106564.news.uni-berlin.de>, Timo Voipio <tvoipio+newsharvested@iki.fi> writes:
>Richard Bos wrote:
>

>> Oh, for heavens' sake. Children of that age not only can, but will count
>> for themselves, if only because it's so much fun going "Seven-three!
>> Seven-three! Neener, neener!". All these people trying to be "nice for
>> the sake of the chiillldruuunnn" are stupid for not realising (or,
>> indeed, remembering) how un-nice children themselves can be.

>And who should, as a reminder, read Golding's Lord of the Flies.

Yes, yes.

>Besides, I think that competitiveness just prepares the kids for the real
>world...

Exactly. This is what the purpose of all play is, preparation for the
real world. The modern "enlightened" educational approach, though, is
based on keeping kids as sheltered from the real world as possible
till they reach 18, then expect them to magically turn into adults at
this date. Then everybody is surprised why there are so many immature
people around.

Mati Meron | "When you argue with a fool,
meron@cars.uchicago.edu | chances are he is doing just the same"

Date Subject Author
9/16/03
Read Students Fro Academic Freedom
Mary Rosemount
9/16/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Uncle Al
9/16/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Josh Halpern
9/16/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Paul Chapman
9/17/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Bob Pease
9/17/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Richard Schultz
9/17/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Starblade Darksquall
9/16/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Virgil
9/17/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Randy Howard
9/17/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Uncle Al
9/17/03
Read [OT for sci.physics] Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Jon Bell
9/17/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Aatu Koskensilta