Topic: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Replies: 26   Last Post: Sep 20, 2003 5:44 PM

meron@cars3.uchicago.edu

Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom

In article <bketho$fom$7@bob.news.rcn.net>, jmfbahciv@aol.com writes:
>In article <45pab.56$s5.12740@news.uchicago.edu>,
> meron@cars3.uchicago.edu wrote:

>>In article <bkcn0d$6r5b$1@ID-106564.news.uni-berlin.de>, Timo Voipio
><tvoipio+newsharvested@iki.fi> writes:

>count

>>>And who should, as a reminder, read Golding's Lord of the Flies.
>>>

>>Yes, yes.
>>

>>>Besides, I think that competitiveness just prepares the kids for the real
>>>world...

>>Exactly. This is what the purpose of all play is, preparation for the
>>real world. The modern "enlightened" educational approach, though, is
>>based on keeping kids as sheltered from the real world as possible
>>till they reach 18, then expect them to magically turn into adults at
>>this date. Then everybody is surprised why there are so many immature
>>people around.

>Like the principal who cancelled the valedictorian rituals
>because all the other kids might feel bad. The gal who
>lost out proposed that athletic letters also be cancelled.
>Bread and circus, anyone?

:-))

>None of this has anything to do with sex bias (tying a knot
>in two threads). It has everything to do with squishing
>anybody who has original analytical thought potential.

School boards are elected by the vast "majorities of the average" and
cater to those.

Mati Meron | "When you argue with a fool,
meron@cars.uchicago.edu | chances are he is doing just the same"

Date Subject Author
9/16/03
Read Students Fro Academic Freedom
Mary Rosemount
9/16/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Uncle Al
9/16/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Josh Halpern
9/16/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Paul Chapman
9/17/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Bob Pease
9/17/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Richard Schultz
9/17/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Starblade Darksquall
9/16/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Virgil
9/17/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Randy Howard
9/17/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Uncle Al
9/17/03
Read [OT for sci.physics] Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Jon Bell
9/17/03
Read Re: Students Fro Academic Freedom
Aatu Koskensilta