Topic: Modern censorship
Replies: 34   Last Post: Nov 22, 2004 10:08 PM

Andrzej Kolowski

Re: Modern censorship

jstevh@msn.com (James Harris) wrote in message news:<3c65f87.0411171706.3f79aba8@posting.google.com>...
> You read in history books about individuals harried by mobs,

[snip lengthy diatribe]

> You people cheat.

[snip whining about cheats]

> They are cows, and cowards.

[snip whining about cows and cowards]

> And I will win. I have a paper at a major math journal. If they try
> to slide out of publication like others before them, it will go to
> another, and another, and another, as I adjust, shift the wording,
> learn the game, play the politics necessary to get published.

Just curious: the most recent version of your paper on polynomial
factorization, co-authored by you and A. Beckwith, at:

includes the following material toward the end:

"Now letting m = 1, f = sqrt(5), where I can let u = 1 as its
value doesn't change the a's, I have

(m^3 f^6 - 3 m^2 f^4 + 3 m) x^3 - 3 (-1 + m f^2) x u^2 + u^3

= 65 x^3 - 12 x + 1 ..."

But clearly, if you substitute m = 1, f = sqrt(5), and u = 1
into the expresson on the left side, you get:

53 x^3 - 12 x + 1.

So that's obviously wrong.

Not only that, but your original polynomial in that paper is
written as

P(m) = f^2 ((m^3 f^4 - 3 m^2 f^2 + 3 m) x^3 - 3(-1 + m f^2)x u^2 + u^3 f).

Now, if I substitute m = 1, f = sqrt(5), u = 1 into THIS
expression, I get:

P(m) = 65 x^3 - 60 x + 15 sqrt(5)

which of course ALSO does not equal

65 x^3 - 12 x + 1.

So what I am curious about is: is this the version you have
submitted to a journal?

Andrzej

[snip still more whining]

&gt;
&gt; And humanity is so much the worse for all of the stink of it.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; James Harris

Date Subject Author