Topic: "e"
Replies: 6   Last Post: Dec 19, 2004 3:09 PM

GoElf@aol.com

Re: "e"

<< Subject: "e"
From: "Jerry Beeler" jerrybeeler@att.net
Date: Fri, Dec 10, 2004 10:58 AM

Euler's number: All too often I see something like this : " 'e' has the
value of approximately 2.718 and often appears in physics and math and we
call log(base e)n as ln(n)".

Can anyone give me (1) a "non calculus" oriented derivation or explanation for
"e", and (2) an example or two of where "it often appears in physics and
math". >>

The curve formed by a cable hanging from two points under its own weight can
only be described using "e."

newsgroup website: <a href="http://www.thinkspot.net/k12math/">http://www.thinkspot.net/k12math/</a>
newsgroup charter: <a href="http://www.thinkspot.net/k12math/charter.html">http://www.thinkspot.net/k12math/charter.html</a>

Date Subject Author