Replies: 237   Last Post: May 12, 2005 5:23 AM

Arthur J. O'Dwyer

Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?

[fups set to the most general of the three groups --- IMVHO! :-]

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, gerard46 wrote:
> | TGOS wrote:
> |> spinoza1111 wrote:
> |> This taxonomy would discriminate against transgendered people and at a
> |> minimum needs a fourth category of "indeterminate" for gender.
> |
> | Every human being has only one sex. It is determined by the presence or
> | absence of a Y chromosome. Presence means male, anything else female.

> Not quite. Some human beings have both, er, as you say, sex. You are
> assuming that an XX is a female, and XY is male. How about YY ?

Looks like "the presence of a Y chromosome" to me. That would mean
"male," in the taxonomy TGOS provided immediately above your response.
(Note that there may or may not be a correlation between primary or
secondary sex characteristics and the chromosomes present in each cell
--- offhand I'd suspect there is, but I'm no biologist.)

> In any case, this all breaks down when you can't determine what the sex
> is, and it happens more than you think. After all, how many humans had
> their chromosome's checked ? A lot of certain atheletes, of course.
> Most of us know what we are by just looking. Sometimes, that's not
> enough. Think hermaphodites. _________________________________Gerard S.

Given that this thread has already seen proposals for the recording
of birthdates down to the millisecond, I don't think something as
relatively commonplace as a DNA test is worth dismissing out of hand. ;)

-Arthur

Date Subject Author
2/27/05
Read [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
TGOS
2/27/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Ioannis
2/27/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Andrew Swallow
2/27/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Willem
2/27/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Dave Rusin
2/27/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Willem
2/27/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/1/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
TGOS
3/1/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
gerard46
3/1/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Arthur J. O'Dwyer
3/2/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Robert Israel
3/1/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Trevor L. Jackson, III
3/2/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
TGOS
3/2/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Robert Israel
3/3/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
jmfbahciv@aol.com
3/5/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
myleftarmitches@yahoo.com
3/6/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
3/6/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
myleftarmitches@yahoo.com
3/16/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gib Bogle
3/6/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/7/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
3/7/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/8/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
3/8/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/9/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
3/10/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/11/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
3/11/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/12/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
3/13/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/13/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
3/13/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/14/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Joseph Hertzlinger
3/14/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/15/05
[...]
3/17/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
3/17/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/17/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
infobahn
3/18/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/18/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
infobahn
3/18/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/18/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
infobahn
3/18/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/18/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Andrew Swallow
3/18/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Dave Vandervies
3/18/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Andrew Swallow
3/19/05
[...]
3/20/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
3/22/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/22/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Randy Howard
3/23/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
3/17/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Chris Sonnack
3/17/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/18/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
3/28/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Chris Sonnack
3/28/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Unruh
3/29/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
3/29/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
3/29/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Chris Sonnack
3/30/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
3/30/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Chris Sonnack
3/31/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
3/31/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Volker Hetzer
4/1/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
4/1/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Volker Hetzer
4/2/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
4/1/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Chris Sonnack
3/31/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Chris Sonnack
4/1/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
4/1/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Chris Sonnack
4/2/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
4/4/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Volker Hetzer
4/4/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
4/4/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Volker Hetzer
4/5/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Tim Rentsch
4/6/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
4/4/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Chris Sonnack
4/5/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Chris Sonnack
4/6/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
4/7/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Chris Sonnack
4/7/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Tim Rentsch
4/8/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gerry Quinn
4/13/05
Read Data vs: Information (was: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?)
Chris Sonnack
4/13/05
Read Re: Data vs: Information (was: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?)
Tim Rentsch
4/13/05
Read Re: Data vs: Information (was: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?)
Chris Sonnack
4/13/05
Read Re: Data vs: Information (was: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?)
Randy Howard
4/14/05
Read Re: Data vs: Information (was: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?)
Tim Rentsch
4/14/05
Read Re: Data vs: Information (was: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?)
Gerry Quinn
4/14/05
Read Re: Data vs: Information (was: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?)
Gerry Quinn
4/14/05
Read Re: Data vs: Information (was: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?)
gswork
4/16/05
Read Re: Data vs: Information (was: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?)
Gerry Quinn
5/9/05
Read Re: Data vs: Information (was: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?)
Chris Sonnack
5/9/05
Read Re: Data vs: Information (was: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?)
Chris Sonnack
5/9/05
Read Re: Data vs: Information
Jean-Luc Cooke
5/10/05
Read Re: Data vs: Information
Gerry Quinn
5/10/05
Read Re: Data vs: Information
Jean-Luc Cooke
5/10/05
Read Re: Data vs: Information
Bob Marlow
5/11/05
Read Re: Data vs: Information
Gerry Quinn
5/11/05
Read Re: Data vs: Information
Martin Eisenberg
5/12/05
Read Re: Data vs: Information
Gerry Quinn
4/4/05
[...]
Mike
3/14/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
infobahn
3/14/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/15/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
infobahn
3/14/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/15/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
blmblm@myrealbox.com
3/15/05
[...]
Jeremy Boden
3/9/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
fishfry
3/10/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/10/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Jeremy Boden
3/10/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/11/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Jeremy Boden
3/11/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/14/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Joseph Hertzlinger
3/12/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Goro
3/16/05
[...]
John Smith
3/2/05
[...]
Percival
2/27/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
gerard46
2/27/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Dave Rusin
2/28/05
[...]
osmium
2/27/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Percival
2/27/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Jim Sprigs
2/27/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
John Hadstate
2/28/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
TGOS
3/1/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Jim Sprigs
3/1/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
osmium
2/27/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Virgil
2/27/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Jacob Sheehy
2/27/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Arthur J. O'Dwyer
2/27/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
John Hadstate
2/27/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
2/28/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
John Ramsden
2/28/05
[...]
King Frog
3/7/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
TGOS
3/13/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Jacob Sheehy
2/27/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
2/28/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Bill Godfrey
2/28/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
TGOS
3/6/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
websnarf@gmail.com
3/7/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
3/7/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Edward G. Nilges
2/28/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Tim Smith
2/28/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Tim Smith
2/28/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
John Ramsden
3/1/05
Read Re: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
TGOS
3/1/05
Read X-No-archive considered harmful (was: A unique number for every "person"
- can it be done?)
CBFalconer
3/3/05
Read Re: X-No-archive considered harmful (was: A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?)
Ned Latham
3/3/05
Read Re: X-No-archive considered harmful
Jesse F. Hughes
3/3/05
Read Re: X-No-archive considered harmful
gswork
3/3/05
Read Re: X-No-archive considered harmful
Jan Panteltje
3/7/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
Gianna Stefani
3/7/05
[...]
Gregory G Rose
3/9/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
infobahn
3/17/05
Read Re: [XPOST] A unique number for every "person" - can it be done?
juan_singh