Topic: Santa Claus problem
Replies: 7   Last Post: Dec 26, 2004 5:28 AM

Claire Mead

Re: Santa Claus problem

On 17 Dec 2004, Lisa wrote:
>My class is having such a hard time with this problem. We are
>stumped! Can anyone give us some hints for solving this problem???
>THANKS!

Without knowing your grade level or what your kids have thought about
already, it's difficult to know just what to tell you.

They may not have learned how to add fractions yet. I'll give you a
hint to get them started without knowing that. The fractions tell us
that his working life must be a number that can be divided into 4
equal parts, 5 equal parts, and 3 also, without any remainders. Try to
find a number that would work for those fractions.

Have your kids submit what they have figured out so far, and a mentor
may be be able to give them more "customized" help. The best way to
get our attention is to follow the advice on the new scoring page
(linked from the problem page) and on the answer check page (after you
submit).

Thanks for asking.

Claire