Topic: "euclidian" or "euclidean"
Replies: 18   Last Post: Jul 19, 2004 1:36 PM

Michael Hamm

Re: "euclidian" or "euclidean"

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 17:17:45 +0200, Alex
<alexloeschediesmalk@face.cs.uni-sb.de> wrote, in part:
> Some people mentioned here that they prefer the capitalized form. By do
> we really write "line segments with euclid[e/i]an norm 1" or "line
> segments whith Euclid[e/i]an norm 1"?

Perhaps others have responded to sci.math already; I read this in aue, so
don't know.

I always write it capitalized, and I've almost always seen it that way.
The same is true for most eponymous words in math, except 'abelian'.

Michael Hamm NB: Of late, my e-mail address is being
AM, Math, Wash. U. St. Louis 'spoofed' a bit. That is, spammers send
msh210@math.wustl.edu e-mail that seems to be from me. Please
http://math.wustl.edu/~msh210/ realize that no spam is in fact from me.