Topic: Calculus I in 6 weeks?
Replies: 13   Last Post: Apr 24, 2005 8:31 AM

Bob

Re: Calculus I in 6 weeks?

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:21:29 GMT, Matt Collins <mcollins_fl@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I don't know, I took a job yesterday that is Mon - Fri 7am -4:30. They
>said they would work around this calculus class, but when you factor in
>the studying it may not be possible.

It isn't possible (assuming you are a reasonable person).

Rule of thumb for a college level class: 2-3 hours of homework per
hour of class. If the class meets 2 hours per day, plan on 4-6 hr of
homework time -- per day. And that is "average"; most students, at
least those who are serious about how they do, spend more time.

We tell the students to consider one such class the equivalent of a
full time job (I have taught summer chemistry -- same idea and work
load as for the math.) We recommend little or no outside job, and no
other course (at least not a full load one). Most students who do not
heed our warnings do not finish. Of course, some do -- either because
they are extraordinarily good (efficient), or because they are
committed enough to make the extreme effort needed -- for six weeks.

I agree with the general advice to give it a try, but that you may
find it hard. You "need" it, so why not give it a try. If you don’t
try it, you are guaranteed not to pass it. If you try it, maybe you
don't finish or don’t do as well as expected. You will still probably
benefit from the experience. Take our warnings, such as mine above,
not as an attempt to dissuade you from doing it, but an attempt to
alert you to the level of commitment you need. One thing that doesn’t
work well in summer school is catching up. You gotta get off to a good
start right away, and keep it up.

bob