Replies: 2   Last Post: Apr 21, 2005 3:48 PM

Fred Shapiro

Re: [HM] Mathematics and social engineering

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, John wrote:

> While looking for background on the application of the 80%-20% Pareto
> rule to nearly every to day to day human endeavor I was surprised to
> learn that Vilfredo Pareto had considerable works and influence in the
> Social and Political areas also.

Can anyone point me to where Pareto published a formulation of the 80-20
rule? Or was it something that someone else later extrapolated from
something Pareto suggested in a more limited or vaguer context?

Fred Shapiro

Fred R. Shapiro Editor
Associate Librarian for Collections and YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
Access and Lecturer in Legal Research Yale University Press,
Yale Law School forthcoming
e-mail: fred.shapiro@yale.edu http://quotationdictionary.com