The Math Forum

Topic: Real life story problem help
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jul 3, 2005 8:43 PM

Re: Real life story problem help
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply wrote in news:1118067729.062445.67430

> I plan on filling my buddy's living room with balloons while he is on
> vacation, just a little prank. Need help figuring out how many
> balloons to buy. Anyone here willing to give me guidance?
> What I have figured out on my own, and with my recollection of my 1979
> Sophmore geometry class, got a "C":
> Front room is approx 12 feet by 16ft, with alcove aprox 8 feet by 8
> feet. (192 sq. feet plus 64 sq feet = 256 sq feet total) ceiling is 8
> feet, so I believe we have 2048 cubic feet. for simplicity let's say
> it is 2k cubic feet.
> Now balloons are listed as "12 inches". I am guessing that an
> inflated balloon, and empty space around it when it is put in a large
> room with other balloons would equal maybe 1.25 cubic feet.
> So that leaves me needing approx 1600 ballons???
> any critique on this logic let me know, just trying to get a wild idea
> of how many balloons I will need.

If the balloons approximate spheres, they will fill something like 75% of
the volume of the room.

PGP KeyID: 0x0888D150

"If you are not outraged, you have not been paying attention."

11:24 AM Sunday, July 03, 2005

submissions: post to k12.ed.math or e-mail to
private e-mail to the k12.ed.math moderator:
newsgroup website:
newsgroup charter: