The Math Forum

Topic: Real life story problem help
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jul 3, 2005 8:43 PM

Marc

Re: Real life story problem help

jackjohansson@gmail.com wrote in news:1118067729.062445.67430
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I plan on filling my buddy's living room with balloons while he is on
> vacation, just a little prank. Need help figuring out how many
> balloons to buy. Anyone here willing to give me guidance?
>
> What I have figured out on my own, and with my recollection of my 1979
> Sophmore geometry class, got a "C":
>
> Front room is approx 12 feet by 16ft, with alcove aprox 8 feet by 8
> feet. (192 sq. feet plus 64 sq feet = 256 sq feet total) ceiling is 8
> feet, so I believe we have 2048 cubic feet. for simplicity let's say
> it is 2k cubic feet.
>
> Now balloons are listed as "12 inches". I am guessing that an
> inflated balloon, and empty space around it when it is put in a large
> room with other balloons would equal maybe 1.25 cubic feet.
>
> So that leaves me needing approx 1600 ballons???
>
> any critique on this logic let me know, just trying to get a wild idea
> of how many balloons I will need.

If the balloons approximate spheres, they will fill something like 75% of
the volume of the room.

--
Marc
PGP KeyID: 0x0888D150

"If you are not outraged, you have not been paying attention."

11:24 AM Sunday, July 03, 2005