The Math Forum

Topic: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Replies: 102   Last Post: Jul 17, 2005 11:11 AM

Jerry Uhl

Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics

Whosh.

On Jun 29, 2005, at 7:07 PM, Louis A. Talman wrote:

> On Jun 29, 2005, at 5:13 PM, Jerry Uhl wrote:
>

>> First I must protest that the title of this thread, Pencil-and-
>> paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics, is at best an
>> oxymoron.
>>

> You misunderstand, Jerry. Paul has his very own meaning for the
> phrase "pure mathematics". As best I can figure it out, it means
> "the mathematics of which pencil-and-paper skills are the
> essence". This makes his arguments into tautologies, and, of
> course, guarantees that he wins.
>
> What he wins is, of course, a very good question that he refuses to
> address. It is enough for him that he whines--oops--*winds*--gulp--
> *WINS*.
>
> --Lou Talman
> Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
> Metropolitan State College of Denver
>
> <http://clem.mscd.edu/~talmanl>

Date Subject Author
6/22/05
Read Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
6/22/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Michael Paul Goldenberg
talmanl@mscd.edu
6/22/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Michael Paul Goldenberg
6/22/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
6/22/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Michael Paul Goldenberg
6/23/05
[...]
6/24/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
6/23/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Kirby Urner
6/23/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
6/23/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Kirby Urner
6/24/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
6/24/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Kirby Urner
6/24/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Michael Paul Goldenberg
6/25/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
6/25/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Michael Paul Goldenberg
6/25/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
talmanl@mscd.edu
6/25/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Michael Paul Goldenberg
6/25/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
6/27/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Kirby Urner
6/27/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Kirby Urner
6/27/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Kirby Urner
6/27/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Wayne Bishop
6/28/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Kirby Urner
6/25/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Haim
6/26/05
[...]
6/29/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
luciepoirier
6/26/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Kirby Urner
6/27/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
CertifiedSecondaryMathTeacher
6/27/05
[...]
6/30/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
6/28/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/17/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
CertifiedSecondaryMathTeacher
6/29/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Jerry Uhl
6/29/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
talmanl@mscd.edu
6/30/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Jerry Uhl
6/30/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
6/30/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/1/05
[...]
7/2/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
7/2/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
7/1/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Wayne Bishop
7/1/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
7/4/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Kirby Urner
7/5/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
7/6/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Kirby Urner
7/6/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
7/6/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Kirby Urner
7/7/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Kirby Urner
7/7/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/7/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
7/7/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Kirby Urner
7/8/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
7/8/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Kirby Urner
7/8/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/8/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
7/8/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Kirby Urner
7/8/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
7/9/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/9/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
7/10/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/10/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
7/10/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Victor Steinbok
7/11/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
7/7/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Paul A. Tanner III
7/1/05
Read Re: Pencil-and-paper skills: The essence of pure mathematics
Greg Matheson
7/2/05