Topic: Confusion on adding percentage of cost to that cost.
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jul 12, 2005 8:10 PM

Kevin Karplus

Re: Confusion on adding percentage of cost to that cost.

On 2005-07-12, ticbol <ticbol@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Taxman sees sale is $10.58
> Taxman gets his 5.75% of that, which is $0.61
>
> Taxman doesn't know---and he never cares---that 5.75% of $10 was added
> to the $10.
>
> Taxman never cares too if the original $10 were sold at $20. In this
> case, if sales is $20, tax is 5.75% of $20.

Taxes are computed differently in different countries (and even
different states in the US).

In California, the sales tax is expressed as a percentage of the price
charged *before* sales tax is added on and retailers are allowed to
advertise the price without including the taxes. Thus a $1 item
actually costs the customer $1.08 (if you are in a county with an 8%
sales tax rate---the rate varies from place to place in the state).
The retailer gets to keep $1 and has to send the $0.08 to the state.

Other places may well use a different basis for the computation, but
this is not a math question but a tax-law question.
I believe that most states in the US use the pre-tax price as the
basis, but I have not researched it other than in the states I have
lived in (Illinois, Michigan, New York, California).

Kevin Karplus karplus@soe.ucsc.edu http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
(Senior member, IEEE) (Board of Directors, ISCB)
Affiliations for identification only.