The Math Forum

Topic: XML format for statistical data and analysis?
Replies: 9   Last Post: Sep 17, 2005 10:00 AM

Ken Starks

Re: XML format for statistical data and analysis?

John Mauer wrote:

> What XML Schema do you use?  I realize that the database constraints can
> be represented, but am unsure where the rest of the format originates.

Sorry for the delay in my reply.

In the early stages of a particular project, I don't bother with a schema at
all, and my XML is not validated. Cocoon does not require anything more.

Even in the more mature projects, I don't use anything official. The schema
that I use is roughly a 'header' + 'data' format, and the header has only a
tiny number of text-based elements: paragraphs, emphasis, author rationale,
Etc.

To be honest, I am still undecided, and I am hedging my bets on whatever
I think will be easy to change into LaTeX, XSL-FO, or Open Office. I'm also
a novice at writing schemas (or should that be schemata?)

Cocoon will certainly help you to get multiple tables out a single xml file,
or by using esql to send a different query to your database for one table
at a time.

When I started, I found it quite difficult to get much information, on
the web, (even on the Cocoon site) about esql. Eventually I found and bought
a book: 'The Cocoon Developer's Handbook' and that had an appendix on the
subject which was excellent. The API is not at all complex really,
once you get the connection set up.

Today, I tried Google, using
"ESQL Logicsheet" Cocoon
and found that things have improved quite a lot:

Development techniques
http://lib.hutech.edu.vn/ebookonline/ebook1/0764543555/LiB0039.html

ESQL Logicsheet
http://www.inf.hs-zigr.de/~wielgu4c/cocoon/tutorial/esql.html