Topic: copyright for sudokus ?
Replies: 15   Last Post: Sep 16, 2005 2:41 PM

Arthur J. O'Dwyer

Re: copyright for sudokus ?

[fup to rec.puzzles]
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:

> (SPOILER for today's NYT crossword follows, by the way.)

[...]

> Right, but more importantly, if you look at any modern newspaper crossword
> (and here I'm talking about American-style), you'll notice
> that each one has what crossword designers call a "theme," which often
> involves wordplay or puns. For example, the NYT crossword today has
> the theme "Up", with theme entries ALL DRESSED, WHOOPING IT, JOHNNY JUMP, and
> WHICH WAY IS.

For the record, I didn't even see the whole theme yesterday! The answer
today draws attention to the fact that above each of the theme answers in
the grid are the letters U and P, e.g.:

SIX MONTOYA OPP<--P
COTTON BANTU<--U
ROTO WHOOPINGIT