The Math Forum

Topic: Proof that 1+1=2
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jun 19, 1996 11:50 PM

hawthorn@waikato.ac.nz

Re: Proof that 1+1=2

In article <Pine.LNX.3.91.960617221257.3170A-100000-100000@www.digtec.com>,
Joe Monnin <jmonnin@digtec.com> writes:
> Does anyone where I might find a proof that 1+1=2? I saw a documentary a
> long time back about this topic. The proof was something like eleven
> pages, but they didn't go into the details of the proof. Any info would
> be appriciated. Thanks.

I think the award for the longest proof of this must surely go to Russell
and Whitehead for the proof that 1+1=2 that they finally arrive at after
362 pages of unreadable abstraction in their `Principia Mathematica'.

The notation is most peculiar, however from what I can figure out, the
result is called proposition 54.43, and the proof says essentially
`apply 54.26 and 51.231 to 13.12. This gives two cases.
In the first case the result follows from 11.11.35.
In the second case the result follows from from 11.54 and 52.1 '

I regard this proof as a monstrosity which is today remembered
mainly for its novelty value.

Ian H