Replies: 1   Last Post: Sep 29, 2005 2:09 PM

Ralph A. Raimi

[HM] history of good curricula (fwd)

Here are some questions sent my way (among others) by Roger Howe, of Yale
University. I forward them, including his name and email address, to this
list with his permission, since they concern the history of mathematics
*education*, or propagation, more than of mathematics itself; thus someone
with answers, thinking them inappropriate for the historia list, might
still wish to contact Professor Howe directly.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:09:33 -0400
From: howe@math.yale.edu
Subject: history of good curricula

Here are some statements that people have made to me.

1. The good Asian curricula (except Japanese) are derived from the
(Soviet) Russian curriculum.

2. The Russian curriculum was derived from the curriculum used in the
elite high schools in Leningrad (now St. Petersburg). The communists took
it and promulgated to all schools.

3. The Russians got it from the Prussians.

4. Euler wrote an arithmetic text for Catherine the Great, for use in a
military academy in St. Petersburg.

Let's assume that these are more or less true, but that statement 3 might
need some clarification. So my question is: can we connect the dots here?
Are the world's good math (or maybe just arithmetic) curricula all (more
or less) descended from Euler?

Ralph A. Raimi Tel. 585 275 4429 or (home) 585 244 9368
Dept. of Mathematics FAX 585 273 4655
University of Rochester Webpage <http://www.math.rochester.edu/u/rarm>
Rochester, NY 14627-0138 (Webpage contains links to papers)