Topic: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
Replies: 32   Last Post: Nov 1, 2005 7:32 AM

Jim Sprigs

Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end

"T.H. Ray" wrote:

> > "T.H. Ray" wrote:

> > > In the conventional sense of "experiment," in

> > empirical
> > > term, falsifiability implies the failure of theory.
> > Not
> > > so in mathematics, where theories are only
> > falsifiable
> > > in the context of their theoretical
> > self-consistency.
> >
> > I may have missed your point, but it is the same in
> > mathematics as
> > well. Suppose one wonders if ab = ba; no experiment
> > that shows for
> > particular a's and b's that ab = ba will prove
> > commutativity, but one
> > experiment that shows that ab =/= ba will disprove
> > it.
> >

> On what theoretically closed judgment, though?
>
> What is one attempting to disprove that is not
> tautological?

There was no mention of tautologies in what I wrote.

--
The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here.

Date Subject Author
10/28/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
Jesse F. Hughes
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
David C. Ullrich
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
T.H. Ray
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
David C. Ullrich
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
T.H. Ray
10/30/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
David C. Ullrich
10/31/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
T.H. Ray
10/31/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
David C. Ullrich
10/31/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
T.H. Ray
11/1/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
David C. Ullrich
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
David Petry
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
T.H. Ray
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
David Petry
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
T.H. Ray
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
Jim Sprigs
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
Dr. David Kirkby
10/31/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
Han de Bruijn
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
Virgil
10/30/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
Ross Finlayson
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
G.E. Ivey
10/29/05
[...]
quasi
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
Randy Poe
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
David C. Ullrich
10/29/05
Read Re: Pure mathematics as intellectual dead end
David M Einstein
10/29/05