Topic: Minimization of arbitrary nonlinear function
Replies: 2   Last Post: Nov 4, 2005 5:53 PM

Marcelo Marazzi

Re: Minimization of arbitrary nonlinear function

The Gauss-Newton iteration is of the form

J'*J*s = -J'F (1)
x = x + s

where J is the Jacobian of the vactor-valued function F
that lsqnonlin requires. (Levenberg-Marquardt is similar.)

In order to compute the step s, the algorithm will need
the vector-valued (non-squared) F to form the right hand
side in (1), and the Jacobian (whose rows are the gradients
of the individual F(i)'s) in both sides of (1).

Nonlinear least square solvers like lsqnonlin exploit the
structure of the problem, and need the non-squared version
to be able to form and solve the above equation at each iteration.

The function one passes to a nonlinear least squares solver
can't be totally arbitrary, it has to be a sum of squares.

Otherwise, for arbitrary scalar functions, one has to call an
optimization solver that doesn't assume any structure of the
objective, like fmincon, fminsearch, patternsearch, etc.

-marcelo