Topic: RE: Geometry Textbook for weak students
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jan 12, 2009 12:17 PM

RE: Geometry Textbook for weak students

With comments like these, its no wonder most kids don't understand or
like mathematics.

The pictures are trying to make connections to the world for the
students. Teaching "proof" geometry makes no connections for most
students and thus they don't care nor do they develop any intellectual

-----Original Message-----
From: approve@support1.mathforum.org
[mailto:approve@support1.mathforum.org] On Behalf Of John Benson
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 7:53 AM
To: geometry-pre-college@moderators.isc.org;
Subject: RE: Geometry Textbook for weak students

With regard to the comment below, the answer is obvious. Euclid does not
have enough color photographs of famous athletes, tall buildings and
other things that are necessary to engage our student's interest. Just
look at virtually any high school text on the market and you will see a
ratio of about 2 to 1 math to "motivating stuff".

I dont understand why Euclid is not used in schools.

The textbook that replaces Euclid has yet to be written.

"kashford" <mskristenashford@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am teaching in a Oakland, CA where resources are scarce and the math
backgrounds of most students are weak. I am trying to find a suitable
text or handbook to teach a geometry course without proofs.