The Math Forum

Replies: 4   Last Post: Feb 9, 2006 4:17 AM

Michael S. Mahoney

Re: [HM] "portagraion" -- a "mathematical instrument" circa 1745?

It looks like an English (mis?)spelling of the French "porte-crayon", or
(drawing) pencil holder.

msm

--
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
Michael S. Mahoney Department of History Princeton University