Topic: Definition of a Hausdorff space
Replies: 6   Last Post: Mar 21, 2006 10:54 AM

Dr. Eric Wingler

Re: Definition of a Hausdorff space

"Marc Olschok" <invalid@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> William Elliot <marsh@hevanet.remove.com> wrote:

> > A space is strongly Hausdorff (T_2.5) when distinct points
> > are in disjoint closed neighborhoods.

> Are you trying to show 2.5 = 1 ?
>
> [ Consider for any pair x =/= y the respective closed neighbourhoods
> C_x,y of x and F_x,y of y with C_x,y and F_x,y disjoint.
> Then compute the intersection of all C_x,y ( x =/= y ) ]
>
> Marc

The intersection of all closed neighborhoods of a point is closed, but it
may not be a neighborhood. A closed neighborhood of a point x must contain
an open set that contains x.

Eric J. Wingler (wingler@math.ysu.edu)
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
Youngstown State University