Topic: Docs for Mathematica[TM]'s elliptic integrals?
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Thorsten Ohl

Docs for Mathematica[TM]'s elliptic integrals?

Newsgroups: sci.math.num-analysis
>Subject:
--text follows this line--
Deos anybody know which algorithm Mathematica[TM] uses to evaluate
elliptic integrals of the third kind with _complex_ arguments?
It seems to be OK for some special cases, but I'd like a second
opinion. [And I hate black boxes ...]

In ``the usual places'' (netlib, CERNLIB, ...), I found first and
second kind for complex arguments. But or the third kind only
implementations for real arguments seem to exist. The published
mathematical literature seems to ignore the complex case, which
appears naturally after partial fractioning

\frac{1}{x^2+a^2} \frac{1}{\sqrt{R(x)}}

Or am I just missing a transformation that would allow me to avoid the
complex poles?

Thanks in advance,
-Thorsten
--
Thorsten Ohl, Physics Department, TH Darmstadt --- PGP: AF 38 FF CE 03 8A 2E A7
http://crunch.ikp.physik.th-darmstadt.de/~ohl/ -------- 8F 2A C1 86 8C 06 32 6B