Topic: RE: Is a spiral 1 dimensional?
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 22, 2006 4:53 PM

Rich Kleinschmidt

RE: Is a spiral 1 dimensional?

It seems to me that the word "spiral" implies that it exists in a higher
dimension space. In 1-space, wouldn't a spiral look exactly like a segment,
ray, or line depending on end points?

Rich Kleinschmidt

- -----Original Message-----
From: approve@support1.mathforum.org [mailto:approve@support1.mathforum.org]
On Behalf Of Allan Turton
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 1:12 AM
To: approve@support1.mathforum.org;
geometry-pre-college@support1.mathforum.org
Subject: Is a spiral 1 dimensional?

I tried posting this under a different topic area but only received 1 reply
which was a bit above my level of understanding (thanks anyway). Please
consider the following:

Thinking about any spiral that lies flat on a plane, is it one-dimensional
or two-dimensional? My thoughts are that, because it is an open curve, only
one dimension (length) is needed to locate a point along it once an origin
is established.

Moving into three-dimensional space, a spiral (as on a cone) would still be
one-dimensional wouldn't it? Only one dimension (length) is still needed to
identify a point along it.

Thoughts?

------- End of Forwarded Message