Topic: Simple versus formal proof?
Replies: 34   Last Post: Jun 26, 2006 4:54 AM

Ross Clement

Re: Simple versus formal proof?

The Qurqirish Dragon wrote:
> If the result will be used more than once, then the first time you use
> it, write out the proof in excruciating detail. Then in future uses,
> you can simply state "as previously shown..." and not use it again.
>
> If the result cannot be proved in a "small" amount of space (small is
> subjective here), then you may want to explicitly call it a lemma, for
> easy reference- since the "as previously shown..." may involve a lot
> more writing than "by lemma X"
>
> Since this is for yourself, it really depends on how organized you
> like/need your notes to be.

Thanks. I'm currently working on skills rather than, at the moment,
learning stuff I really need to know. I have the book "How to read and
do proofs" by Daniel Solow. I've read some of the previous discussion
on that book and am aware of some of the pros and cons of it. But I
figure that getting through that, in parallel with other books, is
going to help. It's pretty frustrating to find proofs that don't seem
to make sense, and hold me up for a while, but then a day or so later
when I return to them they're so trivial I can't understand how I had
trouble in the first place.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Date Subject Author