Topic: Simple versus formal proof?
Replies: 34   Last Post: Jun 26, 2006 4:54 AM

Ross Clement

Re: Simple versus formal proof?

Ken Pledger wrote:
> That reminds me of a little gem in an old Schaum text-book
> "Abstract Algebra" by Joong Fang. After a discussion of formal logical
> proofs, which he calls "demonstrations", his Definition 1.2.4 says:
>
> "A mathematical _proof_ is a set of representative clues, intelligible
> to whom it is intended, which point to the existence of a demonstration."

Which suggests to me that the set of "mathematical proofs" is a
stereotypical fuzzy set, where there are shades of grey between what
is, and isn't a proof (e.g. between an unambiguous proof and a
restatement of the theorem), and where the set membership depends on
the context.

Cheers,

Ross-c

Date Subject Author