Topic: Fwd: Petition concerning National Mathematics Advisory Panel
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jun 23, 2006 5:01 PM

Linda Gojak

Re: Petition concerning National Mathematics Advisory Panel
att1.html (7.1 K)

NCSM Members and Friends,

The NCSM has been carefully reading the NMP discussions on the TODOS
listserv and on their special NMP discussion group. Jerry Becker's
listserv has also included many, many articles and additional
information on the Panel.

I have been in conversation with Skip Fennel, President of NCTMl;
Miriam Leiva, president of TODOS; Bob Kansky, former MSEB director
who has a good history and pulse on Washington DC "mentality"; and
Steve Leinwand, past president of NCSM and many others about the make-
up of the panel and their work. There has been much very good
conversation about the concerns of the make-up of the panel and what
we believe should be their work including -- reaching all students --
doing what is right for kids -- and how the panel will react to what
we think to be should be their plan both on the internet and in the
media.

I am concerned about signing a petition such as that described
below. Deborah Ball has worked very hard to get some of the initial
founders and supporters of the mathematically correct to sit and talk
with her, Hy Bass, other mathematicians and mathematics educators to
reach some "Common Ground" on what is good for students. I have seen
Skip Fennel "in action" with some of the folks who have very strong
opinions. He will challenge their thinking. They will represent our
beliefs on this panel. (Ten -- even 5 years ago, we would not have
had the president of NCTM even invited to be in the room! )

I think signing a petition to remove one person from this panel is
dangerous. If you wish, call for the entire panel's dissolution --
but do not focus on one person.

Since I am unable to attend the second panel meeting, I have asked
Janie Zimmer, a long time active member of NCTM and NCSM and a
current regional director of NCSM to attend the second panel meeting
and request to address the panel. Janie is knowledgeable about the
issues and she is very articulate. She has had input from other
NCSM regional directors. She and I have talked at length. Please
know that the vision and mission of NCSM involving equity for all
students in mathematics education will be made known in Janie's
comments. I believe that Miriam Leiva has also asked to address the
panel.

In the meantime, check out http://
mathpanelwatch.blogspot.com/ for updates on the work of the
panel. I also suggest we flood the offices of our congress people
and senators with information about our concern of the work of the
panel. Heck, contact panel members... you can find their contact
information. Let them know your convictions about mathematics
education for all -- and how we should be teaching mathematics.

I do recommend we become political -- it is my belief that a petition
aimed at removing one person is not the way to go.

Linda Gojak
President, NCSM
Supporting Leadership in Mathematics Education
CMSETT
John Carroll University
216 397 4574 (o)
www.ncsmonline.org
lgojak@sbcglobal.net

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person
doing it.
...Chinese Proverb