Topic: "Foundations of Analysis" by Landau - which version?
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jun 29, 2006 4:21 PM

Dr. Eric Wingler

Re: "Foundations of Analysis" by Landau - which version?

"The poster formerly known as Colleyville Alan" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in
message news:ZOHog.4669$Bh.4210@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> "G. A. Edgar" <edgar@math.ohio-state.edu.invalid> wrote in message

> > In article <w9uog.2598$Uc3.1621@tornado.texas.rr.com>, The poster
> > formerly known as Colleyville Alan <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
> >

> >> I've seen Landau's Foundations of Analysis book recommended here a few
> >> times. I see from Bookfinder that the version circa 1960 is something
> >> like
> >> 63 pages and yet the 2001 printing is about double that.
> >>
> >> Is the more recent version something an editor annotated and added his
> >> own
> >> material to or was it revised by Landau later in the 1960's with new
> >> material added and reprinted later on?

> > Edmund Laudau, 1877-1938.
> > One presumes he did not revise his book in the 1960's

> Oh, I thought it was Martin Landau and that maybe he revised it during
> breaks from Mission Impossible. Thanks for clearing that up.

I have a copy of the third edition that was printed in 1966 by Chelsea. It
has 136 pages. It lists the copyright date of the first edition as 1951,
but this is the first edition of the _translation_ of Grundlagen der
Analysis.

Eric J. Wingler (wingler@math.ysu.edu)
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
Youngstown State University