The Math Forum

Topic: why is 11 not oneteen?
Replies: 31   Last Post: Jul 27, 2006 5:25 AM

Tapio Hurme

Re: why is 11 not oneteen?

"Phil Carmody" <thefatphil_demunged@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Tapio" <hurmecom@dlc.fi> writes:
>> "Rajnish Kumar" <rajnishkumar1971@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > WHY IS ELEVEN NOT ONETEEN AND TWELVE NOT TWOTEEN?
>>
>> In Finnish we have "oneteen" =11= "yksitoista"

> Nitpick - 'toista' is cognate to '2' not '10'.

Actually 11= "yksitoista" means "yksi toistakymmentä" ( one in the second
ten) - earlier "yksi toista" (as "kymmentä" =ten was dropt away) and today
written together "yksitoista". Therefore Phil´s comment is right without
knowing roots. Here´s about the roots:

Earlier also 21 was "yksi kolmatta kymmentä" (one in the second ten) and
later 1800 " yksikolmatta" as you can see here in the §10:
http://www.histdoc.net/laki/rhj.html

Numbers 11-19 are still in the form " - toista", which refers to the second
ten, but others for example the above mentioned 21 is today
"kaksikymmentäyksi" = twenty one, not anymore "yksikolmatta".

Those, who have English as mother language, would explain what is the
linguistic connection between "teen" and "ten". For me "teen" looks like an
oldish "ten".

Tapio

> (Then again, '8' is cognate to '2' too, and '9'
> is cognate to '1'.)
>
> Phil
> --
> The man who is always worrying about whether or not his soul would be
> damned generally has a soul that isn't worth a damn.
> -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. (1809-1894), American physician and writer

Date Subject Author
7/14/06
Read why is 11 not oneteen?
Rajnish Kumar