Topic: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle
Replies: 29   Last Post: Jul 31, 2006 5:54 AM

Eric Bainville

Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle (solution?)

Hi again and again :-)

Well, maybe I should stick to geometry...
My current value is 2.6244755... (seems to converge towards yours :-)

I assumed that the expected gain E(P,N) depends only on the quantities
of red (P for positive) /black (N for negative) cards remaining in the deck.

E(0,N) is N (no more positive, stop now)
E(P,0) is 0 (no more negative, draw all remaining cards to return to 0)

In the general case, we compare the current gain S = (N-P) if we stop now
to the expected gain if we continue C = E(P-1,N)*P/(N+P) + E(P,N-1)*N/(N+P).
Here I have a little doubt about the probability of picking a P or a N, then
E(P,N) = max(S,C)

-- Eric

At 12:39 25/07/2006, Joao Pedro Afonso wrote:

> Hi Eric, :-)
>
> I think you escaped from a good one. Now I have to read the
> mapple script, but look what I was preparing to send in reply to
> your first message, in the moment it arrived to the MathOrg (where
> it is probably waiting now for the moderators approval):
>
>:-)
>
>Eric Bainville wrote:

>>Hi,
>>Very fun problem!
>>My strategy gives an expected gain of
>>805867616040669 / 281474976710656 = 2.863016903...

> Grrrr! Your expected gain is bigger than mine!!! >-(
>

>>Small numbers of cards can be checked by hand (P is a +1 card, N is
>>a -1 card).

>>2+2 cards:
>>P: continue =>
>> PP: stop 2 (1/4)
>> PN: continue =>
>> PNP: stop 1 (1/8)
>> PNN: continue => PNNP 0 (1/8)
>>N: continue =>
>> NP: continue =>
>> NPP: stop 1 (1/8)
>> NPN: continue => NPNP 0 (1/8)
>> NN: continue => NNPP 0 (1/4)
>>=> 3/4

> Hufff! Look careful the way you are doing your probabilities. :-)
>

> Cheers,
>Joao Pedro Afonso

Date Subject Author
7/21/06
Read (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle
nigel
7/21/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle
Mary Krimmel
7/21/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle
João Pedro Afonso
7/21/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle
Earle Jones
7/23/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle
João Pedro Afonso
7/24/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle
Earle Jones
7/24/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle
João Pedro Afonso
7/23/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle
João Pedro Afonso
7/24/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle (solution?)
João Pedro Afonso
7/25/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle (solution?)
Eric Bainville
7/25/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle (solution?)
João Pedro Afonso
7/25/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle (solution?)
Eric Bainville
7/25/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle (solution?)
João Pedro Afonso
7/26/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle (solution?)
Eric Bainville
7/26/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle (solution?)
João Pedro Afonso
7/26/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle (solution?)
Eric Bainville
7/25/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle (solution?)
Eric Bainville
7/25/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle
cuthbert
7/25/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle
João Pedro Afonso
7/26/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle
cuthbert
7/26/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle
João Pedro Afonso
7/31/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle
cuthbert1
7/25/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle
Eamon
7/25/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle
Eamon
7/28/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle (Simulation results)
João Pedro Afonso
7/28/06
Read Re: (difficult)Theoretical gambling puzzle
mark