The Math Forum

Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by NCTM or The Math Forum.

Math Forum » Discussions » sci.math.* » sci.math.research

Notice: We are no longer accepting new posts, but the forums will continue to be readable.

Topic: Terminology of integers
Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 28, 2006 9:30 AM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View  
Colin McLarty

Posts: 11
Registered: 3/3/06
Re: Terminology of integers
Posted: Aug 28, 2006 9:30 AM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

Thanks to Lee Rudolph. He is right about van der Waerden's usage. And
``quantity'' is a better translation than ``magnitude.''

It seems that in current German algebra the word ``ganz/integer'' is
only an adjective. Writers say ``integer number'' or ``integer
element'' or ``integer quantity'' in a number field or a function
field. In English, in number fields, people say ``integer'' but in
function fields they prefer ``integral function'' and the like. For a
translation I expect to use "integer" as a noun for Noether's ``ganz
Grosse'' in number fields, and since she uses the phrase just once of
function fields I'll translate it the same way.

best, Colin

Lee Rudolph wrote:
> "" <> writes:

> >Certainly some people talk about "integers" in an algebraic function
> >field in the ring-theoretic sense -- algebraic functions that satisfy a
> >monic polynomial over the field of rational functions in one variable.
> >But I do not know how common this is.
> >
> >For a translation of Emmy Noether's paper "Abstrakter Aufbau der
> >Idealtheorie" I need a term for "ganzen Grossen" in an algebraic
> >function field in that sense. This is the same term she uses for
> >integers in an algebraic number field. When she wants to specify
> >integers in the basic arithmetic sense, rational integers in algebraic
> >number fields, she uses "ganzen Zahlen."
> >
> >A word-by-word translation would make "ganzen Grossen" into "integer
> >magnitudes." I have never heard anyone in English talk about "integer
> >magnitudes" in algebraic number fields. I think everyone just says
> >"integers." But is this also common in algebraic function fields?

> I believe the phrase "integral element of an algebraic function field"
> is reasonably standard. "Integral quantity" might also do (or once
> have done) the trick. If you can find a German-language copy of
> van der Waerden's _Moderne Algebra_, a check of section 101 (vol. 2,
> ch. XIV), which is titled "The Integral Quantities of a Field" in
> the English translation by Benac, would confirm or disconfirm my
> ungrounded but hopeful conjecture that there at least "integral
> quantities" is translating "ganzen Grossen".
> Lee Rudolph

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© The Math Forum at NCTM 1994-2018. All Rights Reserved.