Topic: Terminology of integers
Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 28, 2006 9:30 AM

Colin McLarty

Re: Terminology of integers

Thanks to Lee Rudolph. He is right about van der Waerden's usage. And
``quantity'' is a better translation than ``magnitude.''

It seems that in current German algebra the word ``ganz/integer'' is
only an adjective. Writers say ``integer number'' or ``integer
element'' or ``integer quantity'' in a number field or a function
field. In English, in number fields, people say ``integer'' but in
function fields they prefer ``integral function'' and the like. For a
translation I expect to use "integer" as a noun for Noether's ``ganz
Grosse'' in number fields, and since she uses the phrase just once of
function fields I'll translate it the same way.

best, Colin