Topic: How did Niccolo Tartaglia solve cubic equations with no x term?
Replies: 4   Last Post: Oct 13, 2006 4:24 AM

Karl M. Bunday

Re: How did Niccolo Tartaglia solve cubic equations with no x term?

Geoff wrote:

> I have recently read Mario Livio's book "The Equation That Couldn't Be
> Solved", and in an early chapter he refers to how Niccolo Tartaglia managed
> to find a solution for the equation x^3 + 3x^2 = 5.
>
> That was not the first occasion that I have read that Tartaglia had managed
> to find a solution for cubic equations with no x term (and that he
> subsequently also figured out how to also solve cubic equations having no
> x^2 term instead), but reading that book recently has left me wondering, yet
> again, exactly how he would have figured out how to solve such equations
> (with no x term).

The new book Galois Theory for Beginners (English translation of a German book)
gives some of the history, and shows geometric diagrams for solving cubic
equations sixteenth-century style.

--
Karl M. Bunday P.O. Box 1456, Minnetonka MN 55345
Learn in Freedom (TM) http://learninfreedom.org/