Topic: Curvature of all spheres
Replies: 4   Last Post: Oct 23, 2006 9:10 PM

Lynn Kurtz

Re: Curvature of all spheres

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:55:59 GMT, Larry Giller
<lgiller113@gillernet.net> wrote:

>Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote in news:virgil-9F990F.22072418102006
>@comcast.dca.giganews.com:
>

>> Larry Giller <lgiller113@gillernet.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Would the curvature for all "perfect" spheres be the same?
>>
>> Isn't the curvature of a sphere dependent on its radius?

>The area would be affected, but I don't see how the curvature
>would be, since all points would be equidistant from the center.
>That's the question. Would all spheres have equal curvature (I
>think radius wouldn't have any determination in this, though I
>could be wrong).

Informally, the larger the radius the flatter the surface is. The
Gaussian curvature is 1 / r^2 and the Mean curvature is 1 / r. See,
for example:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Sphere.html

--Lynn