Topic: "Changing the Way We Teach Math"
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Kate Nonesuch

"Changing the Way We Teach Math"
winmail.dat (9.8 K)

I teach basic math to adults in a literacy/ABE program. More than a year ago I began a project to read the research about adult numeracy instruction, and consult with more than 100 practitioners (in British Columbia, Canada) about what I read. I was surprised to find that nearly every practioner I consulted had heard of most "best practices;" many had attempted to implement some or all of them. Instructors talked about what changes they would like to make in their teaching practice, and what barriers got in the way of making change. In response to their concerns, I wrote a manual, and a literature review; the introduction to the manual describes the consultation process I undertook.

Changing the Way We Teach Math: A Manual for Teaching Basic Math to Adults http://www.nald.ca/library/learning/mathman/mathman.pdf <http://www.nald.ca/library/learning/mathman/mathman.pdf>

More Complicated Than It Seems: A Review of Literature about Teaching Math to Adults

http://www.nald.ca/library/research/morecomp/morecomp.pdf <http://www.nald.ca/library/research/morecomp/morecomp.pdf>

The project was funded by the National Office of Literacy and Learning (NOLL), Human Resources and Social Development Canada.

Kate Nonesuch
Career and Academic Preparation
Malaspina University-College, Cowichan Campus
222 Cowichan Way
Duncan, BC
V9L 6P4

nonesuch@mala.ca