Replies: 55   Last Post: Feb 19, 2007 11:48 PM

Chris

Re: [math-learn] Transforming formulas
att1.html (15.5 K)

Antonija,

With my seventh-grade students, I would do transformations,
but, depending on context,
I would not necessarily expect them to be able to do it.

One time, in particular, that I recall using it is with the distance formula.

For whatever reason, there were many students who knew that r = D/t,
and when we started out with problems that required solving for D
there would immediately be questions, because their recollection of the formula
"didn't solve for" what they needed.

Other students could tell them that D = rt,
and I would always do the transformation for them,
to show them that the two formulas are "equivalent"
before I would show them how to solve the problem both ways.

I always found it fascinating that the students often had no problem
understanding how to solve the equation (once the values were plugged in),
but they were totally confused by the transformation, using the variables.

Chris