Topic: Re: Security situation - Fwd: Poetry is dangerous
Replies: 15   Last Post: Apr 30, 2007 8:19 PM

Seese, Lillian

RE: Partial credit.

Isn't this a humbling time of the year?

I realized a while back that it might have been possible for a student to
pass my classes without ever getting a single problem compeltely correct.
So now I give NO partial credit whatsoever. I give back up to 50% of the
points missed to students who submit corrections along with an analysis of
what mistakes they made on each problem. I only do this if students have a
100% on their hoemwork grade for the chapter. If they have x% (where x<100)
then they get back 50% of x times the number of points they correct. I
always put the 2 most missed problems onthe next test (so it is to their
advantage to really understand what they did wrong). I think it has made a
huge difference. I don't have any higher pass rate, but they seem to
realize that a mistake is a mistake, and they don't argue with me about my
taking off too many points for a "little" error. Lillian Seese SLCC
Meramec