Topic: Re: Security situation - Fwd: Poetry is dangerous
Replies: 15   Last Post: Apr 30, 2007 8:19 PM

Seese, Lillian

RE: Partial credit.

Laura - It is surely lots of work for me - Another thing I do is that their
"ticket to admission" each day is a written summary of what I am going to
teach that day. It is amazing what a difference it makes if they have read
the book before they come to class (duh). Instead of blank stares as I
teach, I now have people listening and anxiously awaiting the moment I
explain why "add the square of one-half b to each side" automatically makes
the left side of the equation a perfect square. It has made a huge
difference. You are right, though - when I do presentations at conferences
about how I do all this I call it, "How I get my students to work as hard as
I do." This is all a response to a semester when I shifted my focus from
"I am a great teacher" to "why aren't they learning?" Good to hear from
you - Lillian