The Math Forum

Topic: Is It True About Math
Replies: 8   Last Post: May 20, 2007 5:40 PM

David Ames

Re: Is It True About Math

On May 17, 10:47 pm, chri...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I was in the math building today and overheard some math graduate
> students saying modern math is all done with smoke and mirrors. This
> is probably some sort of inside joke, but does anyone know what they
> meant?

"Smoke" is obfuscation and "mirrors" is misdirection. The grad
student was being facetioius. It's like the freshman who couldn't see
how the professor got from point A to point B. He thought the prof
was talking in parabolas.;

David Ames