Topic: Re: Harvard Calc and "feel good"
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Lou Talman

Dan Hart wrote:

> Thanks for your support. I choose to believe that the silence greeting
> this idea reflects the unanimous support of this forum for a poll/study on
> where AP Calculus should go and what works where, when and with whom.
>
> It would seem anything else would signal an unwillingness of the ETS to
> consider the views of the average high school/college calculus teacher.
> And, certainly, it would be of great interest to all to conduct a random
> survey of the 10,000 or so high school AP teachers to see what really
> works to get students to succeed at first year calculus.
>
> How could anyone disagree?!

It's easy to see how one could disagree if one realizes that AP isn't driven
by "the views of the average high school/college calculus teacher". It *is*
driven by "what really works to get students to succeed at first year
calculus", but to ETS "succeed at first year calculus" means "get credit for a
semester's worth of calculus at a college or university". Thus, it isn't the
views of average high school or college teachers that matter to ETS; it's the
views of the departments that grant, or fail to grant, college credit to
students with good scores.

In point of fact, ETS did conduct a workshop at Clemson after the 1995
Readings at which it solicited the views of the readers and of other high
school and college teachers. Anita Solow (of Grinell??) was in the middle of
things, and could probably at least provide people who are interested in
communicating their ideas with a target at whom those ideas can be aimed.

--Lou Talman